Bar admission: Paris (1977)
Laurent Aynès is Doctor of laws and agrégé des facultés de droit since 1982. He is a Professor at the University of Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris I) since 1991 where he teaches the law of contracts.
He joined Darrois Villey Maillot Brochier Law firm as Partner in January 2014.
Laurent has developed a worldwide experience and is one of the most well known civil lawyers in Europe and is well regarded as an independent arbitrator. He practices arbitration primarily in the fields of international trade, joint ventures, construction, engineering, distribution, telecommunications, oil and gas and intellectual property under the rules of the ICC, Vienna Centre, Icsid, Uncitral, and in ad hoc proceedings. He has acted as a chairman, co-arbitrator or sole arbitrator in about 140 cases since 1990. He has also been involved as a mediator or conciliator in various cases. Apart from his activities as arbitrator, he has been involved as a legal expert in numerous major international disputes.
He acted as legal consultant since 1978, mainly in business matters, and appears as French law expert before UK and US Courts, as well as before arbitral tribunals in numerous cases.
Laurent is a member of many professional associations including the International Arbitration Institute, the French Center of Comparative Law, theCapitant Association, the French Committee of arbitration, the Club of arbitrators of Milan and Paris Center of international arbitration.
He has lectured at the Universities of Oxford, Osaka and Tunis and is a frequent speaker in seminars and conferences. He speaks French and English.
Laurent is scientific co-director of Lamy Droit des Sûretés (since 2002), Scientific director of the review Droit et Patrimoine (since 2003), Member of the Scientific committee of the Répertoire du Defrénois (since 2007) and Scientific director of the review Revue des contrats (2013).
Main areas of expertise
Arbitration, Conciliation / Mediation
Legal opinion / Legal expert
Graduate Degree in Literature (University of Reims, 1973):
PhD in Law (University of Paris II, Panthéon-Assas, 1981):
Passed the national competition for the nomination of professors of universities -Agrégation de Droit Privé (1982):
French / English
Author and co-author of numerous textbooks in civil law which are regularly updated, including notably:
Traité de droit civil, LGDJ, en collaboration avec le Professeur Philippe Malaurie:
- Droit des obligations, en collaboration avec le Professeur Ph. Stoffel-Munck, 8ème éd. 2016
- Les biens, 6ème éd. 2015
- Droit des sûretés, en collaboration avec le Professeur P. Crocq, 10ème éd. 2016
- Droit des contrats spéciaux, en collaboration avec le Professeur P.-Y. Gautier, 8ème éd. 2016
- Droit des régimes matrimoniaux, 5ème éd. 2015
Author of articles and legal commentator on case law in several law reviews (Dalloz, Droit et Patrimoine, Revue de l’arbitrage, Lamy Droit de sûretés, Revue des contrats)
- French update – M&A: Key Takeaways for Dealmakers on the Modernization of French Contract Law by Laurent Aynès, Emmanuel Brochier, Bertrand Cardi and Forrest G. Alogna, published on November 16, 2016 on the International Institute for the Study of Cross-Border investment and M&A website: http://xbma.org/forum/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/MA-key-takeaways-for-dealmakers-on-the-modernization-of-French-contract-law.pdf